Match Summary | Hibernian Reserves (H)

Kilmarnock remain in the top half of the cinch SPFL Reserve League despite a 3-0 loss to Hibernian at The BBSP Stadium, Rugby Park on Tuesday 4th April 2023.

Paul Sheerin set up his side in a rough 4-2-3-1 formation fronted by Bobby Wales, with Steven Warnock supporting in behind. Singh and Aaron Quigg were given the holding midfield roles, while Kian Leslie and Aaron Brown occupied either touchline. Jack Sanders and Andrew Miller started at the heart of defence, alongside Jon Craig and Sean Clark in the full-back positions.

The experienced Darren McGregor captained a young Hibs side who remain unbeaten in the SPFL reserve league this season.

It was the visitors who were first to find their rhythm, but without carving through the Killie defence. A couple of well-timed interceptions from Andrew Miller preceded fine blocks from Singh and Jack Sanders who stopped goalbound shots inside the box, keeping Corey Armour’s gloves clean for the first five minutes.

Killie’s first proper stride up the park resulted in a solid block at the opposite end. Jon Craig’s low cross was collected by Steven Warnock who swiveled and fired a shot towards goal, which was halted by his marker.

Hibs’ first real chance came after 20 minutes when a perfectly weighted pass slid the visitors through on goal in a two-on-one situation. An impressive covering tackle from Sean Clark put an end to a dangerous attack as the defenders remained on top during the first quarter of the game.

The deadlock was broken just before the half-hour mark when a ball was threaded through to Ethan Laidlaw who slotted inside Corey Armour’s left-hand post to put the Hibees ahead.

The visitors continued to push for a second goal, with Allan Delferriere firing a free-kick over the bar from 25 yards, before Darren McGregor headed narrowly past the post as the referee drew breath to blow the half-time whistle.

Half-time: Kilmarnock 0-1 Hibernian

Killie were first to strike at goal as they searched for an equaliser early in the second period. A neat exchange with Steven Warnock set Bobby Wales free on the edge of the box where he lashed an effort towards the far corner and forced a superb save from the Hibs keeper who clawed his shot around the post.

A corner kick in front of the Chadwick Stand goal resulted in Hibs doubling their lead with just under half an hour to play, when a ball was swung into the box and nodded in at the front post.

Corey Armour made two solid saves as Hibs began to carve opportunities in the final third of the match; denying a strike and header from close range. However, the Killie keeper stood no chance when Josh O’Connor sent an unstoppable volley into his net from the edge of the six-yard box with 10 minutes to play.

The hosts looked like they may pull one back with five minutes remaining as the ball fell to the feet of Ethan Mersey whose shot was snuffed out by the Hibs defender to preserve the Edinburgh side’s clean sheet.

Next up for Kilmarnock reserves is a home fixture against Livingston on Tuesday 11th April 2023.

Result: Kilmarnock 0-3 Hibernian

Kilmarnock starting XI:  Armour, Clark (Mulvanny 61’), Sanders, Miller, Craig, Leslie (Mersey 76’), Singh (Smith 61’), Quigg, Brown (Craik 65’), Warnock, Wales

Killie cautions: Sanders, Leslie, Wales