Matchzone: Hearts (H)

Kilmarnock exited the Viaplay Cup at the quarter-final stage following a 2-1 loss to Heart of Midlothian on Tuesday 26th September.

Alex Lowry’s last-minute strike was enough to send the capital side to Hampden Park, killing Killie’s second half resurgence sparked by a Brad Lyons header.

It was a cagey first 40 minutes littered with a handful of half-chances at both ends. Matty Kennedy drew the best stop of the half after skipping past the Hearts defence and forcing an excellent full-stretch save.

The visitors pulled in front five minutes before the break when Jorge Grant precisely found the bottom corner through a controlled shot from the edge of the Killie box.

Speaking post-match, Derek McInnes claimed that “half-time came at the right time” for his side: Killie came out firing in the second period. David Watson’s snapshot flew wide after Danny Armstrong’s dangerous cross was cleared to the edge of the box. Kyle Magennis also sent a driven strike whistling just past the post less than 10 minutes after the restart.

The hosts found a breakthrough with 20 minutes remaining. Matty Kennedy’s deflected cross crashed into the box where it was met by the head of Brad Lyons who gladly nodded home to draw his side level.

Gaining momentum, the Rugby Park team pushed forward in the final 10 minutes. Kyle Magennis’ left-footed shot was deflected into the side-netting as he continued to display one of his most impressive performances in a Killie shirt.

In cruel fashion, the visitors secured their place in the last-four in stoppage time. Alex Lowry’s well-placed effort nestled into the bottom corner, leaving the hosts no time to reply.

Result: Kilmarnock 1-2 Hearts

Kilmarnock lineup: Dennis, Mayo (Dallas 90+3), Findlay, Wright, Deas (Ndaba 76), Armstrong, Lyons, Watson (Cameron 90+3), Magennis, Kennedy, Vassell

Hearts lineup: Clark, Sibbick, Kent, Rowles, Kingsley, Devlin (Haring 45′), Nieuwenhof (Baningimeat 90+1′), Vargas (Lowry 90+1′, Grant (Boyce 82′), Forrest (Offiah 73′), Shankland

Post-match reaction

Speaking at full-time, Derek McInnes stated that his team were guilty of being “too excitable, rushed and eager to win it.” You can listen to the full interview – HERE.