Match Summary | Dumbarton (H)

Jordan Jones struck in injury time to book a place in the last-16 of the Scottish Cup as Kilmarnock edged past Dumbarton at The BBSP Stadium, Rugby Park.

Nick Walsh’s whistle kicked off a very cagey contest. Kilmarnock quickly began to dictate possession but without carving any clear-cut shooting opportunities in the early stages, with the visitors happy to sit deep and fend off any ventures towards their penalty box.

Stephen Farrell’s men far from settled with purely soaking up pressure, and it was the League Two side that produced the first shot on target of the match: the Killie keeper’s concentration was to be tested on a handful of occasions throughout the afternoon.

The home team were forced to display patience in attack. Armstrong and Murray on either wing led the early strides forward, but it proved to be a frustrating first half for the boys in blue and white.

It was much of the same in the second ’45 as an anxious atmosphere began to grow across the stands. Dumbarton created the first real chance of the half, forcing Hemming to turn the ball away as it travelled towards the bottom corner.

Vassell and Jones were the first two additions to be introduced from the bench, and it was the latter who would leave the biggest mark on the game.

In the final half-hour, Killie placed focus on the aerial route to goal. Taylor, Robinson and Wright all attempted headers as Derek McInnes’ side honed in on the target.

With extra-time looming, the aforementioned Jones stepped up to place his team’s name in the hat for the next round. A Danny Armstrong cross was plucked out of the air by his fellow winger who smashed a volley beyond the Dumbarton No.1, which ended any hopes of a cup upset in Kilmarnock.

Result: Kilmarnock 1-0 Dumbarton

Kilmarnock starting XI: Hemming, Mayo, Taylor, Wright, Armstrong, McInroy, Power, Polworth, Murray, Robinson, Lafferty

Kilmarnock subs: Vassell (45), Jones (59), Alebiosu (72), Doidge (72)

Attendance: 3705

Brownings MOTM: Jordan Jones