Tommy Henaughen

Tommy Henaughen

in #KillieStories May 12, 2017

It was with great sadness that we learned of the death of Thomas Henaughen, an extremely versatile forward with Kilmarnock in the 1950’s. Tommy died peacefully last Saturday, 6th May, in Erskine House, Edinburgh.

Sadly, just 4 days later, Tommy’s wife Margaret, to whom he had been married to for 62 years, also passed away in Manor Grange, Edinburgh. The thoughts of everyone connected with Kilmarnock Football Club go to the family and friends of both Tommy and Margaret at this very sad and unfortunate time.


Born on 25/7/1930 in New Jersey, USA, Tommy Henaughen was a very clever and creative player, blessed with a fine turn of pace as well as good passing and dribbling skills. Such was his quality, he could play with great effect not only as a right or left winger, but also as an inside forward as well.

Signed from Queen’s Park in the summer of 1951 by then manager Malcolm MacDonald, Tommy had been a Scottish Amateur Internationalist whilst with Queen’s Park. He made his Kilmarnock debut in a 3-0 home win over Ayr United in the Scottish League Cup on 11/8/1951 and went on to become a regular performer apart from injury. He was outside right in the Kilmarnock team that unluckily lost 2-0 to Dundee in the Scottish League Cup Final in October 1952, after having played a starring role in the 1-0 win over Rangers in the Semi-Final, setting up the move that led to Willie Jack’s winning goal.

Tommy was also an ever-present in the team that finally won promotion from B Division the following season of 1953-54, scoring 13 goals in 30 appearances. His great form in the B Division promotion-winning campaign saw him named in the provisional Scotland squad for the 1954 World Cup Finals in Switzerland, but there was a bit of confusion about whether he was eligible to represent Scotland due to him being born in the USA, and he was not chosen for the final party.

In the autumn of 1955, Tommy was called up for National Service, and was allowed to play with non-league club Tonbridge whilst stationed down south. He also spent most of 1956-57 on loan to Brentford, but when his National Service ended, he returned to Kilmarnock. Malcolm MacDonald had left the club to join Brentford in the summer of 1957 and the manager in charge when he returned was Willie Waddell. Tommy was never as regular a performer thereafter, and eventually in August 1960, he was freed to join Stirling Albion, having made a total of 177 appearances and scored 37 goals for Kilmarnock in domestic competitions. He signed for Stirling Albion on his release, but a few months later, moved on to Morton. During the 1970’s, Tommy did some sterling work for Kilmarnock as a scout, with one of his finest recommendations being a certain David Provan, a young winger from Port Glasgow Rangers, who was sold to Celtic for £120,000 in September 1978.